As human beings, we are prone to diseases. We never know when we may get affected with a disease and our life may come to a halt. Thus taking precautions and practicing a healthy lifestyle are the best ways to prevent a disease. When you suffer from a syndrome, several questions raises in your mind and you do not know most of the answers. The same is true about eating disorders, which are complex conditions characterized by extremes of emotions. There are different types of eating disorders; most common are anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and compulsive eating disorders. Lesser known disorders are PICA, night eating disorders, Eating Disorders Otherwise Not Specified (EDNOS) etc.
People might have numerous queries when affected by eating disorder. Some of them are:
What is eating disorder?
It can be defined as a set of abnormal eating behaviors that makes an individual think about food and suffer from guilt, frustration, and shame.
What is the difference between anorexia and bulimia?
Both these disorders are characterized by an urge to lose weight. While anorexics choose not to eat proper meals or skip meals, bulimics are more attracted towards food and eat in excessive amount. Bulimics also make purging attempts in order to shed those extra calories.
What is binge eating disorder?
This term denotes a syndrome where a person indulges in overeating and takes food as the only means to cope up with complex emotions. They eat to the point of physical discomfort.
What is overeating or binging?
Overeating or binging is eating without any physical hunger. A person will continue even after they are full.
What are the signs of these disorders?
Feelings such as guilt, shame and depression, frequent weight loss and gain, refusal to eat food, purging attempts like self-induced vomiting, use of laxative and diet pills, insomnia, lack of sexual desire, hiding food etc. are some common signs.
These are the questions that come to your mind initially, once you know that you have a certain disorder. However, we provide here some frequently asked questions about eating disorders and their answers:
- What is the meaning of this particular syndrome?
- What are the causes and effects of the syndrome?
- What are its treatment options?
- What lifestyle changes do I need to make in order to recover early?
- How common is this disorder?
- What are the symptoms of such disorders?
- What lifestyle habits should I stick to overcome the disease?
- What are the recovery processes?
- What is psychotherapy?
- Can medication be the only treatment for recovery?
- How can these disorders be prevented at an early age?
- What can I do if I have an eating syndrome and I do not want to disclose it to my family?
- What are the rates of recovery of these diseases?
- How is weight loss and weight gain related to eating disorders?
- Can these syndromes cause death? What are the death rates?