Perhaps the single most dangerous indoor air pollutant is carbon monoxide. This colorless, odorless gas interferes with the oxygen delivery system of the body, causing asphyxia. At high concentrations, it leads to unconsciousness and death. Lower concentrations can cause a range of symptoms from headaches and dizziness to confusion and disorientation; people with chronic heart disease may also experience episodes of increased chest pain. A carbon monoxide detector is a vital defense against this deadly toxin.
Another colorless, odorless gas that poses significant risks to your health is Radon. This radioactive gas is produced by the decay of naturally occurring uranium in all soils and some water. It seeps into homes through cracks and holes in the foundation and generally builds up in the basement. Long-term exposure to radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. It is important to have the radon levels in your house tested and any sources eliminated.